What is a mega event?
- An event with several hundred or even thousands of participants,
- several interpreter teams working in parallel,
- many conference languages,
- less widely-spoken languages,
- and which may last several weeks or months.
- the Olympic Games, the Universal Forum of Cultures Barcelona 2004 (50 congresses over 5 months), an EU Presidency (over 6 months), lengthy diplomatic negotiations, high profile trials or large medical congresses.
Providing interpreters at a major event often requires a year or two of preparation. do involve your consultant interpreter from the outset.
The Calliope consultant interpreter will help you
- decide which languages will be available, where and when (working sessions, press conferences, interviews, etc.)
- plan flexibly by recruiting interpreters able to work into more than one language
- establish the number of interpreters and interpreting equipment required
- manage costs to provide optimum value for money as the schedule develops
- make the logistical arrangements (accreditation, tickets, hotels, local transfers)
- recruit the interpreters as early as possible because
- professional interpreters are in great demand
- getting the right people early means flexibility and cost-effectiveness
- ensure thorough technical preparation by the interpreters (glossaries, documentation according to session and subject)
- set up a properly equipped coordination office
- prepare each interpreter's work schedule
- react promptly to contingencies and last minute changes.
(Podcast in French)
This text will be replaced by the flash music player.